January 7, 2012

Rumtopf



As I've mentioned before, I made a traditional German fruit preserve this year for the first time. In it are strawberries, cherries, peaches and blueberries, lots of sugar and lots of rum. The thing sat for 6 months and was finally ready for tasting over the holidays!

We've been eating it on little sponge cakes, and it would also be good with ice cream, whipped cream and waffles! I have yet to make drinks with the rum/syrup, but I will!

Overall, I'm not sure I would make this again, but I'm open for a second try, with more fruit and maybe different rum. I find it a bit strong, but J really likes it, so I could see us making some for him and the Christmas season festivities every year.

It's a bit unappetizing that the fruits are mostly dark brown, from the rum. But when you think about how they've been just sitting in a pot for 6 months, they look pretty good! Nothing is too soft. The texture feels good on the palate. The cherries and blueberries are actually extra crisp, I suppose they've taken up as much alcohol or sugar as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment