August 10, 2012

Abundant Kale

Have more kale than you know what to do with?!

The original kale plants this year. There are younger ones  in the back of the bed also!
You can always make kale chips!





Following the basic recipe I linked to above, you can make any number of varieties by changing the seasoning. I use Herbamare - sea salt infused with herbs and vegetables and sesame seeds. Here are a few things I've found in making these chips:

1. Recipes for this often say to "carefully" cut away the kale leaves from the stem. I say, no way! The best way to remove the stem is to wrap your thumb and forefinger around the bottom of the stem, just where the leaves begin, squeeze and pull. The leaves will tear off nearly perfectly in seconds.

2. Put less salt than you think you'll need! I always oversalt, which is bad for my health!

3. 15 minutes at 350 F has always been too much in my oven. I watch them after the first 4 or 5 minutes, and when the first few start getting brown (there is always uneven cooking), I turn off the heat and leave the kale in the warmed oven until they are all crispy.

I've yet to try these in a dehydrator, mostly because I think it would take more time. Has anyone tried that? How was it?

No comments:

Post a Comment