September 4, 2012

Zoomin' Bloomin': Morning Glories too!


Okay, so I took this picture the same week that Miss Greenish Thumb posted about her morning glories but I never got around to posting about them.




This is the first year I've grown these, thanks to a friend who generously gave me some this spring. Before then, I wouldn't have been able to name them if I'd seen them. The flowers bloom only in the morning and last one day. Sometimes, when I walk out the door in the morning, forgetting they are there, I gasp in amazement at how great they are!

The only thing is that they've succeeded in climbing all the metal railings I've got and are now twining all over each other and making a bushy mess, as well as a few actually working their way under the entrance roof soffitting! Clearly, something must be done. From a quick google search it seems minimal pruning can be ok during growing season, but too much may affect flower production. I'll trim what I need and hope the flowers keep coming! Any tips from anyone with experience with these? 

Update: Here is what they look like now! Much bushier, and at least once a week I climb up to the top and trim the ones making their way into the soffit, or the ones hanging down in messy masses. This doesn't seem to have affected the flowering at all. 




1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachelle,

    I felt bad that we didn't have Zoomin' Bloomin' for you to link up to so I linked you up to today's My Garden to Yours!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete