November 29, 2013

Knitting a Turban

The cold weather is here and I have knit myself a turban style headband just in time!

Francine Headband.


This is the Francine Headband that I put on my To Knit list back in January! Well, it took less than a year to make; in fact the actual knitting and finishing added up to 4 or 5 hours! I'm ready to start another one!


The pattern is simple and well-written and I love the clever design. You can buy the pattern at Knit Motion by Amélie Bernier, and check out another similar headband pattern by Amélie for free here.

The only trouble I had was when I made the first curved part, I twisted the knitting for the second batch of stitches when picking them up. It doesn't make a real difference in the headband, but next time I will just pick up the stitches like the pattern says, RS facing!.

I also didn't really get the provisional cast-on. I followed this tutorial for using a crocheted chain as the base, but when I went to pull my crochet chain out, it didn't unravel and I had to pick out. I figured I just cast on with my needle in the wrong spot of the "hyphen" side, so I did the second piece the same way but with my needle casting on the other spot of that side. That didn't work either, so I had some more unraveling to do!

I thought I would have to learn the Three Needle Bind Off method for the seam, but it turns out I already know that one - as demonstrated by my MIL, although she could not remember the English name for the technique.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comment about our recycled creature, Rachelle. Okay, your turban looks awesome on you. So great. Hope you and JF are doing well and enjoying the cozy holidays!

    ReplyDelete