September 9, 2013

Roasted Red Pepper Dip

I made roasted red pepper dip, and it was easier than I thought!
 
Red peppers from the farm, variety: Carmen. They are pointy like hot peppers, but so sweet and delicious!   

 
First I cut about 6 peppers in half, removing seeds and white bits. I placed them skin side up on parchment paper lined pans and roasted at 350 for about half an hour, until the skins were wrinkly and starting to blacken. After cooling I peeled off the skin and the most charred bits, pureeing the rest in the blender. 

 





The taste was super rich and smokey - a bit intense on its own, but it was delicious in a sandwich!

I decided to keep adding things to change the taste to something I would use more for a dip with crackers or veggies. I added a couple roasted garlic cloves (roasted garlic is delicious and not as pungent tasting as it is fresh or sauteed). Then I added 4 cups of steamed carrots and some lemon juice.

The result is about 5 cups of delicious puree. I packed it away in 125ml mason jars and froze them. Stored food that tastes like summer is so satisfying!

No comments:

Post a Comment